Season Review – September

After a solid start to the season September was the month where playing in the National League really hit home with trips to Braintree, Dover and Torquay.

The month started with the longest trip of the season as the Lions travelled to Torquay’s Plainmoor stadium.

Liam Dickinson scored his first goal of the season from the penalty spot after Will Hatfield was tripped in the area, this coming shortly after Zac Thompson had hit the post.

Exodus Geohaghon, who had fouled Hatfield for the penalty, redeemed himself six minutes later as he scored the equaliser for the hosts.

In a game of few chances for the Lions Wayne Brooksby lead a break-away but his shot struck the post and Danny Boshell’s half-volley flew just over the crossbar.

Next up was Woking’s visit to Nethermoor and nobody could have predicted what great entertainment they were about to witness.

The visitors raced into a two goal lead with John Goddard scoring both in the opening 13 minutes, however goals from Rob Atkinson and Nicky Boshell looked to have sent the teams in at half-time level.

Woking defender Brian Saah had other ideas when he scored in injury time at the end of the half.

The second half served up more excitement, Tom Craddock’s first goal for his new club pulled Guiseley back level but just eight minutes later the Cards were in front again as Dan Holman broke the offside trap and rounded Steven Drench before tapping the ball into the empty net.

In the 96th minute Jake Lawlor poked the ball in to see the scores tied and the points shared.

FC Halifax were next to visit Nethermoor and they took an early lead when CJ Hamilton’s powerful shot sailed into the top corner after nine minutes.

Will Hatfield pulled us level scoring against the side who released him just a few months ago, Liam Dickinson then scored a penalty in the 81st minute to secure a big three points against our local rivals.

The result proved to be a costly one for Neil Aspin who parted company with the Shaymen just two days later, it wasn’t to be the last time he faced Guiseley this season though.

The second long away trip of the month saw the Lions travel to Dover Athletic, Liam Dickinson had our best chance but his shot from range was well wide of what was an open goal.

The hosts dominated this game as they hit the bar late on but the draw continued their unbeaten home record since the season started.

Just three days later Southport visited Nethermoor for another midweek fixture, Liam Dickinson’s powerful free kick after 19 minutes saw the Lions lead the match for a long period.

However the Sandgrounders were not to be denied and found an equaliser as Louis Almond fired a shot into the top corner after 87 minutes to see the game end as a draw.

The last fixture of the month saw Guiseley pick up their first ever away win in the Vanarama National League at Braintree Town’s Cressing Road.

Wayne Brooksby’s shot from range struck the post in what was a fairly quiet first half but Tom Craddock found the winner in the 80th minute after neat link up play between Nicky Boshell and Danny Lowe.

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town