Lions triumph over Fylde

Guiseley returned to action on Tuesday to secure a vital win over second-placed AFC Fylde, with strikes from Gavin Rothery and Adam Boyes each side of a Joe Booth own-goal sealing victory against another promotion rival.

Making their first ever visit to Nethermoor, Fylde included ex-Lion Josh Wilson in their starting line-up while Danny Hall made a welcome return to the Guiseley defence following his bad leg break in pre-season and his loan spell at Hyde.

New signing from Stalybridge Liam Dickinson partnered Adam Boyes up front and he made an immediate impression, firing in two efforts before tussling with Brad Barnes in an altercation that saw both players booked.

Steven Drench also did well to turn Michael Barnes’ effort round the post as the game began at a blistering pace that never let up until the half-time whistle, both sides displaying the skill and endeavour that mark them out as contenders for promotion.

After a fairly even first half hour the Lions took the lead from the spot on 34 minutes. Danny Hall was pushed in the back by Danny Rowe and Gavin Rothery sent Ben Hinchcliffe the wrong way from the resultant penalty.

Michael Barnes shot just wide of the post on the restart, and Rothery jinked past two defenders only to see his effort hit the bar.

The second goal arrived on 55 minutes when Guiseley were awarded a free kick thirty yards out. Wayne Brooksby floated it in for Dickinson to nod goalward, whereupon Joe Booth attempted to head back to Hinchcliffe from six yards only for the ball to sail into the net instead.

Nine minutes later, the game was put beyond the visitors’ reach as Wayne Brooksby cut in from the right, and although Hinchcliffe managed to parry his shot, the outstretched leg of Boyes ensured a three-goal advantage for Guiseley.

Fylde bagged a consolation with nine minutes remaining when Josh Langley’s header found the mark, though only after Drench had pushed it on to the inside of the post.

Substitute Alex Johnson should perhaps have done better when put through late on, but his shot lacked power and Hinchcliffe saved easily.

Barnes then hit the post for the visitors in the closing stages but it was all over by then as the Lions moved back up to fourth in the table – leapfrogging Hednesford Town, who visit Nethermoor on Saturday.

Post match reaction: Mark Bower, Liam Dickinson and Wayne Brooksby



3-Lowe (C)





8-D Boshell

9-Boyes 64 (A Johnson, 81)

10-L Dickinson

11-Rothery, 34 (p)


14-A Johnson

15-N Boshell

16-O Johnson

18 S Dickinson

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley