Lions throw it away

Having won at second placed Dagenham and Redbridge last Saturday Guiseley spurned the chance to put some distance between themselves and the other relegation candidates as they allowed bottom club North Ferriby United to come back from a goal down and grab three precious points as they completed a league double over the Lions.

The home side were the first to threaten as Jordan Preston cut in from right to fire just over the angle.

Jake Skelton replied for the visitors as he dinked a shot over the bar at the other end.

Guiseley took the lead on thirteen minutes when Will Hatfield fired a left foot shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the area beyond Rory Watson.

The lively Preston then brought a good save from Watson and put a header just wide before the break.

Reece Thompson hit the inside of the post on the restart and saw the ball rebound into the clutches of a grateful Jonathan Maxted.

Maxted was in action again shortly after producing a good stop at the foot of the post before arching backwards to tip an effort over the bar.

But the Ferriby pressure evenually paid dividends when Thompson chipped in a fine equaliser from distance just before the hour after Simon Walton had given the ball away.

Kevan Hurst replaced Michael Rankine shortly afterwards but Guiseley suffered a major blow when skipper Danny Lowe was sent off for violent conduct with twenty minutes remaining.

The dismissal prompted Adam Lockwood to replace Preston with defender Elliott Green and even then, the ten men went close as John Rooney tested Watson but found the Ferriby keeper equal to his effort.

Hurst then delivered a low cross from the right to setup Cassidy only for the striker to fluff his lines from three yards out and allow Watson to smother the ball and the easiest of openings was gone.

Goal scorer Hatfield fired a shot just wide before Adam Boyes replaced Cassidy with nine minutes remaining.

With four minutes of additional time being played the Lions pressed for an equaliser, the nearest they came being a rasping drive from twenty yards just over the angle from Simon Walton.

And so Ferriby hung on for what looked an unlikely victory after Guiseley had taken the lead but as at Grange Lane earlier in the season the Lions had spurned the chance to take United to the cleaners.

However, they do have an early chance to redeem themselves when Barrow, who lost 5-1 at Tranmere in the Trophy today, visit Nethermoor on Tuesday (ko 7:45)

26 Maxted
2 Brown
3 Lowe
11 Rankine (Hurst 70)
8 Hatfield
6 Lawlor
10 Rooney
19 Preston (Green 72)
20 Williams
24 Walton
29 Cassidy (Boyes 81)
4 Vidal
7 Hurst
9 Boyes
32 Logan
33 Green

Will Hatfield scores the opener


Adam Lockwood’s post match reaction

Jonny Maxted’s post match reaction

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town