Lions Lose To League Leaders

The Lions suffered a narrow defeat at Brackley Town’s St James Park in the pouring rain this afternoon, read our match report sponsored by

Matt Lowe’s goal 13 minutes into the game settled the fixture which had few chances but The Saints did enough to seal a return to top spot.

Shepherd Murobedzi had the first real chance of the afternoon but headed straight at new keeper Mason Owen. Up the other end Jake Hull saw his header go just past Danny Lewis’ post.

Lee Ndlovu nearly found the breakthrough though just eight minutes in when his shot from the edge of the box crashed off of the crossbar.

Five minutes later Brackley had the lead, Ellis Myles’ dangerous cross found Lowe who had the simple task of putting the ball into the empty net from two yards out.

It was The Saints who looked more like scoring the next goal and Tre Mitford rounded Mason but could only find the side netting from a tight angle.

The game entered a scrappy spell as the rain started to pour in Northamptonshire, it wasn’t until just before half-time when Mitford had two more opportunities to score.

His first shot went just wide but his second cannoned of the post in injury time with Owen stranded.

The second half didn’t get off to a good start as Brackley nearly doubled their tally through a Lions own goal after a mix up at the back but Mason was alert to the danger.

It took 52 minutes for Lewis to be tested in the Town goal and it was Prince Ekpolo who forced the stopper into a good save from his powerful shot.

Lowdown then had the opportunity for his second of the afternoon but he couldn’t beat Mason who made a good stop to deny the number 7.

The Lions tried everything they could to get an equaliser with Andy Kellett returning to fitness off of the bench but neither him or the introductions of Lewis Hey and Adam Haw could get past a mean home defence.

The Lions’ attention turns to cup action with a trip to Tadcaster Albion in the West Riding County Cup on Tuesday night and a visit to Chesterfield on Saturday in the Buildbase FA Trophy.

The next league game is away to bottom of the table AFC Telford United on Tuesday 21st December.

Attendance: 464

Marcus Bignot’s post match interview

Team: 1. Owen Mason, 2. George Cantrill (64’ Hey), 3. Jake Hull, 4. Prince Ekpolo (64’ Kellett), 5. Hamza Bencherif (C), 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7. Ollie Brown, 8. Jamie Spencer, 9. Jacob Gratton (80’ Haw), 10. Josh Stones and 11. Andy Hollins.

Subs: 12. Oli Metcalfe, 13. Dec Lambton (GK), 14. Andy Kellett, 15. Lewis Hey and 16. Adam Haw.

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town