Lions Have An Afternoon To Forget At Edgar Street

Hereford took all the points with a comfortable 2-0 victory after a goal in each half from Mazia Kouhyar, read our match report sponsored by

In a first half dominated by The Bulls with plenty of missed chances The Lions were perhaps relieved to go in only one goal down at the break at Edgar Street where we are yet to score on three visits.

Kouhyar’s goals came towards the end of each half in front of a crowd of 1680 with two good finishes from the Hereford number 19.

From the opening minutes the home side dominated possession and it was Ryan Lloyd who was first to trouble Owen Mason but his dipping and powerful effort from 25 yards out went straight into the keeper’s arms.

Sebastian Revan was next to have a chance for the hosts but he fired over from a tight angle and a minute later Ryan McLean was one on one with Mason but couldn’t beat the keeper.

McLean had another chance but once again he found Mason in his way as the on loan Mansfield Town keeper made a stunning one handed save.

Kouhyar really should have opened the scoring in the 11th minute, the forward had a free shot at goal but his effort cannoned off of the bar and away.

The Lions were really struggling to get a foothold in the game but did have an opportunity through Lebrun Mbeka, his header on the end of Dom Tear’s corner went straight into Brandon Hall’s arms.

In an electric first half Russ O’Neill entered the book after a word with the referee and on the pitch Krystian Pearce was played in behind but Ollie Brown made a last ditch challenge to stop the big defender.

The Lions’ best chance of the afternoon came after 30 minutes when George Cantrill, who was wearing the captain’s armband, delivered a quick throw-in which Regan Hutchinson got on the end of but his curled shot dropped just past the post.

It proved crucial as the next opening saw the first goal of the afternoon, Kouhyar was found at the back post to slot past Mason and put his side in front.

In the final minutes of the half both Tom Owen-Evans and McLean both should have extended Hereford’s margin but the pair wasted chances.

The second half was a complete contrast to the first and never really got going but it was substitute Lewis Hey who got the ball in the box turned but shot straight at Hall.

David Bremang and Jason Sraha, who are both on loan from Barnsley, had a chance each to level the scores but both couldn’t find a breakthrough with Bremang’s effort hit the side netting and Hall saved Sraha’s shot from 20 yards out.

With four minutes of the game remaining Kouhyar again showed composure to finish past Mason who stood no chance saving the shot as it was arrowed into the bottom corner.

As one last roll of the dice Hamza Bencherif was thrown up front but couldn’t get his side back into the game.

The Lions move onto to two home games in four days as Blyth Spartans visit Nethermoor on Saturday for a 3pm kick-off before Brackley Town make the trip to LS20 on Tuesday 22nd February for a 7;45pm start.

Attendance: 1680

Team: 1. Owen Mason, 20. George Cantrill (C), 19. Jason Sraha, 4. Prince Ekpolo, 14. Andy Hollins, 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7. Regan Hutchinson, 8. Ollie Brown (53’ Hey), 9. David Bremang, 10. Dom Tear (80’ Bencherif) and 11. Thierry Latty-Fairweather (80’ Nicholson).

Subs: 12. Lewis Hey, 13. Dec Lambton (GK), 5. Hamza Bencherif, 15. Adam Haw and 16. Brad Nicholson.

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley