Lions end Moors’ run to go second

Guiseley extended their winning streak to four games with a 3-0 win over fourth-placed Solihull at Nethermoor this evening to leapfrog AFC Fylde into second place ahead of Saturday’s home game against leaders Barrow.

Solihull arrived on the back of a ten-game unbeaten run in the league and showed why they were the form team by forcing a corner in the very first minute. Luckily, the ball in came to nothing and the danger was cleared.

It took the home side some time to adjust to the relentless pace that the visitors were showing as they closed down to give the Lions very little breathing room and got back to defend in numbers.

That was despite missing their and the Vanarama Conference North’s leading scorer, Omar Bogle, who was in the England C squad for the match against Estonia at The Shay this evening.

When they did regain their composure, Wayne Brooksby’s telling cross was just behind Oli Johnson and the striker was then only a whisker away from converting Danny Lowe’s cross into the box.

Brooksby had a shot parried by visiting goalkeeper Tony Breedon as the game ebbed and flowed, and three minutes before the break the home side made the breakthrough. Rob Elvins, in trying to stop Johnson’s cross, diverted the ball towards his own goal, where Breedon could only parry it for Brooksby to slot the opener home.

Steven Drench pulled off a superb stop from Darren Byfield on the restart, and at the other end, a delightful ball from Adam Boyes to Gavin Rothery set up Brooksby at the far post, but he could only scoop his shot over.

Drench again came to his side’s rescue, this time to deny Ryan Beswick, before two goals in the space of three minutes sealed the victory for the Lions.

First, Rothery fed Oli Johnson just inside the area for the in-form striker to sidestep the impressive Liam Daly and deliver a precise strike into the bottom corner that left Breedon rooted to the spot.

Breedon was also involved in Guiseley’s third goal; he received a throw-in from Michael Nottingham but made a hasty clearance under pressure from Boyes and it fell straight to Brooksby, who promptly fired it past the keeper’s despairing dive to seal the three points that elevate the Lions to second place in the table.

Although Guiseley have played two games more than Barrow and three more than AFC Fylde, both clubs have yet to play at Nethermoor, beginning with the Bluebirds’ visit on Saturday.

Barrow manager Darren Edmondson was at Nethermoor this evening and will have got an inkling of what his side can expect as he – together with 407 spectators – witnessed a game that was a great advert for the Vanarama Conference North, with both teams playing some decisive football on the counter. Aided, it has to be said, by referee Paul Brown’s willingness to let play flow whenever possible.

Post match reaction: Mark Bower, Adam Boyes and Oli Johnson


1-Steven Drench

2-Ryan Toulson

3-Danny Lowe (C)

4-Shane Killock

5-Danny Ellis

6-Jake Lawlor (Holdsworth, 86)

7-Wayne Brooksby 42 & 66

8-Danny Boshell

9-Adam Boyes (Alex Johnson, 77)

10-Oli Johnson 63 (Nicky Boshell, 80)

11-Gavin Rothery

12-Andy Holdsworth

14-Nicky Boshell

15-Jack Stockdill

16-Alex Johnson

18-Steve Dickinson

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town