Lions denied

Guiseley were denied the victory against Halifax in this evening’s pulsating and bruising West Yorkshire Derby at Nethermoor, goals from Josh Wilson and Seb Carole being chalked off for what looked like contentious decisions.

Mark Bower had put the home side in the lead after just nine minutes but his goal was cancelled out by Dan Gardner for the visitors on 65 minutes to leave honours even and the points shared, an outcome that will please Steve Kittrick far more than Neil Aspin.

Guiseley started strongly with several players restored to the starting line up as Kittrick rotated his squad once again, Josh Wilson joining the returning James Walshaw in a lethal-looking front three alongside Kevin Holsgrove. And it was an early cross in from the left by Holsgrove that nearly set up the first chance for Walshaw before Glennon snatched the ball off his toes.

Holsgrove then had a good opportunity to open the scoring but pulled his shot wide with only Glennon to beat after a route-one clearance from Steve Drench. But the Lions were not to be denied, as a free kick down the left was played for Andy Holdsworth to deliver an inviting cross. It found Mark Bower, who powered his header into the far corner leaving Glennon rooted to his goal line.

Town could have been level shortly afterwards as Aaron Hardy lost the ball to the lively Gardner, who shot straight at Drench. Then came the first of the contentious decisions as Wilson was left unmarked eight yards out and headed home, only for the liner’s flag to signal offside despite the presence of Glennon and another Town defender on the goal line.

Bower then nearly grabbed his second of the evening but was unable to get sufficient power behind his shot, which was hacked off the line by Ryan Toulson with the indecisive Glennon once again beaten. Lee Gregory brought a good stop from Drench and Danny Lowe hit the underside of the bar only for the ball to bounce out as Town finished the first half in the ascendancy.

The Shaymen maintained their momentum at the start of the second period and they were rewarded just after the hour when a quick free kick set up Gardner, who lashed the ball past Drench to square matters.

Despite replacing Walshaw and Jack Rea with Seb Carole and Phil Marsh the Lions were unable to create any more clear-cut openings until the dying minutes, when Glennon flapped at a corner from the left, the ball eventually finding Holdsworth who floated it back in for Glennon to miss once again. Carole fired home through a ruck of players only for the referee to award Town a free kick, presumably for a perceived foul on Glennon.

So the honours remain even, but with the return League game at the Shay in just over two weeks and the West Riding County Cup Final in early May, the West Yorkshire bragging rights are still there for the taking.


1 – Steve Drench

2 – Aaron Hardy

3 – Rhys Meynell

4 – Andy Pearson

5 – Danny Ellis

6 – Mark Bower (Captain) (Goal, 9)

7 – Jack Rea (Marsh, 78)

8 – Andy Holdsworth

9 – Josh Wilson

10 – James Walshaw (Carole, 74)

11 – Kevin Holsgrove

12 – Seb Carole

14 – Jake Lawlor

15 – Andy McWilliams

16 – Phil Marsh

18 – Jacob Giles

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley