Late Winner From Kaine Felix Gives The Lions a Lifeline

In a match that had significance at both ends of the table it was Guiseley who grabbed the crucial three points to keep their survival hopes alive while delivering a blow to Spennymoor’s chances of qualifying for the play-offs. Read how the drama unfolded in our match report sponsored by

Striker Shaun Tuton returned to lead the line for the Lions, making his first start since breaking his leg earlier in the season, and Andy Hollins also resumed at centre back following his recent injury.

Town included former Lions Jordan Thewlis and Jordan Amissah in their starting eleven while Jordan Preston was named on the bench.

In a cagey first half both sides huffed and puffed but created little in the way of chances although John Johnston was proving a handful for the visitors down the right flank as was Tuton down the middle, but the half ended goalless.

Five minutes into the second period Guiseley were awarded a corner which somehow ended up on top of the net following a scramble and deflection in the Spennymoor six-yard box.

Then the home side created the first real opening of the game when Hollins’ intelligent ball over the visiting back line found Tuton on the charge, but his low shot was straight at Amissah. Johnston then evaded several challenges but he too shot straight at Amissah.

Manager Steve Kittrick took the decision to freshen things up as he made three changes just after the hour with Ethan Cartwright, Adam Haw and Dom Tear coming on for Thierry Latty-Fairweather, Shaun Tuton and Jamie Spencer.

But it was the visitors who went closest to breaking the deadlock only to be denied by a point blank save from Owen Mason on 79 minutes.

Four minutes later and Guiseley were ahead as Luke Spokes lost the ball in a midfield tussle and Felix burst down the left channel before firing a precision daisy cutter from just inside the area across Amissah and into the far corner to send the home support into raptures.

With their chances of making the play-off’s now hanging by a thread Town threw everybody forward in an attempt to salvage something from the game.

But even when Amissah joined the throng for a Spennymoor corner the Guiseley defence held firm as they had done for most of the afternoon and played out the four minutes of added time without ever being threatened to bag a precious three points.

That’s now two wins, draws and defeats since the new management team took charge the result sets up an intriguing scenario for the final Saturday of the League season where, dependent on results, any one of Guiseley, Farsley or AFC Telford United could find themselves playing Northern Premier League football next season.

The final round of fixtures see Guiseley travel to Alfreton for a 3pm kick off, Farsley entertain Boston United, and Telford are at home to York. And while City have already guaranteed a play-off place both Boston and Alfreton are battling it out with Kettering Town for the one remaining place in the play-offs and are separated by just two points.

So, whichever way you look at it its all to play for on Saturday!

Att: 1001

Team: 1. Owen Mason, 2. Regan Hutchinson, 3. George Cantrill, 4. Prince Ekpolo, 5. Lebrun Mbeka, 6. Andy Hollins, 7. John Johnston, 8. Jamie Spencer (74’ Tear), 9. Shaun Tuton, (69’ Haw) 10. Kaine Felix (C) and 11. Thierry Latty-Fairweather (60’ Cartwright).

Subs: 12. Adam Haw, 13. Scott Moloney (GK), 14. Ethan Cartwright, 15. Ollie Brown and 16. Dom Tear.





Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town