Ladies bow out in County Cup Quarter Final



Womens County Cup Quarter Final
–Guiseley Ladies AFC V Leeds City Vixens FC


Nethermoor –
Tuesday 14th February- 7.30pm


Following three previous postponements the ladies were glad
to have this game given the go ahead following a pitch inspection. The ladies
faced local rivals Leeds City Vixens for the first time in their history. The
Vixens currently play two leagues above Guiseley Ladies in The FA Womens Premier
League Northern Division. It was always going to be tough game for the home
side but they had prepared well for the game. The ladies had a full strength
team and were up for the challenge as both teams have been struggling for form
in their respective leagues. The home side started the better and dominated
possession in a solid 4-1-4-1 formation. Caroline Hulme, who signed for the
ladies before Christmas, has injected pace and strength into the Guiseley
forward line. It was Hulmes’ perseverance that led to the home side getting the
opening goal. She found herself one-on-one with the Vixens’ ‘keeper, and coolly
placed the ball into the corner of the net. The home supporters turned out in
their numbers to watch a determined performance by the ladies. The Vixens
showed their class at times, and Guiseleys’ ‘keeper Erin Boswell made a couple
of instinctive saves to keep the home ahead. The ladies went 2-0 up on the 35th
minute when midfielder Lindsey Hopton struck a cross from the right into the
net. The ladies were looking good, but an innocent tackle from the Vixens
centre midfielder left Guiseley defender Alarna Fuller clutching her knee.
Fuller was substituted on the 40th minute, and manager Phil Riley
had to make a few changes to the formation as a result. The Vixens took
advantage of confusion within the Guiseley defence and they got a goal back
just before half-time.




The second half saw the ladies forced to go 4-4-2 as
centre midfielder Caroline Cropp had to be substituted at half-time with an
injured groin. The home side never really adjusted to the changes and the
Vixens scored an equalising goal 10 minutes into the second half. Guiseley were
on the defence for most of the second half, having one less player in midfield
allowed the Vixens to cut through often with ease. The Vixens scored a third
goal on the 75th Minute. A pin point ball played through the
Guiseley defence was met well by their inform striker, who put the ball in the
net beyond Boswell. The ladies put up a fight and battled well, Boswell made
some outstanding saves in the Guiseley goal. Caroline Cropp almost got an
equaliser for the home side on the 80th minute mark but the cross
bar got in the way. It was a nervy last 5 minutes, with the ladies pushing
forward to try and get the equaliser that would have taken the tie to
extra-time. The Vixens took advantage of Guiseleys’ attacking formation and
scored a fourth goal on the 90th minute mark. This put the tie to
bed but the ladies can be proud that they gave a very good account of their
selves against higher ranked opposition.


The Vixens now go on to face Leeds United Ladies FC in the
semi final on Wednesday 7th March at The West Riding County FA
ground, kick-off 7.30pm.


Full time: 2-4  Man of the match:
Caroline Hulme

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town