Young Lions Put Seven Past AFC Fylde

Four goals from striker Brad Wood were the highlight of Guiseley Academy’s 7-2 win over visitors Fylde, writes Rachel O’Connor.

The Guiseley side, in the process of re-building, gave an impressive performance going forward with some fine attacking moves throughout.

The Fylde side were fortunate that the deficit was not in double figures as Guiseley created chance after chance.

Guiseley got off the mark in the second minute through Jack Mason. Brad Wood, who led the line well throughout, got the first of his tally in the seventh minute when he judged the bounce of an overhead ball well, latching on to it to drive home at the far post.

Guiseley forced a series of corners as they put the Fylde defence under pressure. John Hollis fired just over the bar and K’Marni Miller applied constant pressure with his brave running and deft touch.

A good move involving Wood and Ben Innes ended with Kyle Burrows firing over while a booming header forward by Miller put Wood one-on-one with the ‘keeper but he was unable to get the better of him.

Innes was then unable to find any power in his shot when he was put in on goal. Guiseley were constantly on the front foot making many a timely intervention to play the ball forward.

A great run by Oliwier Grzelak saw him play the ball to Wood whose ball into the area just evaded the touch of an inrushing player.

Wood made it 3-0 on 38 minutes after good work by Miller but there was an immediate response from Fylde who pulled one back through their big striker after the ball had bounced off Guiseley ‘keeper Callum Bradbury.

Fylde were given renewed hope by this and soon pulled it back to 3-2 with a good cross headed in at the far post.

Hollis produced a poor touch but stuck at his task and gained a penalty as the ‘keeper took him out. Wood stepped up to complete his hat-trick from the spot in the 44th minute giving Guiseley a 4-2 lead at the break.

Early in the second-half Guiseley showed that there would be no let up as they hit the post. Wood then made it 5-2 sliding over the line with the ball as he stretched for it on 65 minutes.

This was to be his last action of the game as he was replaced by Danyaal Khan. At the same time Burrows was replaced by Joseph Priestley.

Khan looked a threat and he beat the ‘keeper only for the ball to hit the post. He quickly made ammends rifling the ball home in the 79th minute to make it 6-2.

Guiseley were not yet done and took their tally to seven when Grzelak slid the ball in at the far post.

Guiseley: Callum Bradbury; Kyle Burrows (Joseph Priestley 65), K’Marni Miller, Tanaka Maumbe, Ricardo Grey, Sam Walters, John Hollis, Oliwier Grzelak, Brad Wood (Danyaal Khan 65), Jack Mason, Ben Innes. Subs not used: Ryan Berry, Denelle Godfrey.

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town