Vixens Make it Two Wins in Two

Guiseley Vixens pick up their second league win within a week, beating Nottingham Forest two-nil at home.

Liv Auker bagged her fourth goal in three games (all competitions), and Ellie Hall netted on her full return to the first team.

The action started right from the off, Sophia Bonser trying her luck from range but it didn’t trouble goalkeeper Bethan Davies.

Auker showed her quick feet early on, going past two defenders easily and shooting, the shot, unfortunately, going wide of the upright.

Davies was called into action twenty minutes in. Katie Middleton being allowed time in the box to turn and shoot, but a strong hand from the ‘keeper denied the away side a goal.

Guiseley broke the deadlock before the half-hour mark. Auker shifted the ball well onto her right foot and bent one into the top right from distance under pressure.

The Vixens didn’t ease the pressure, with Hall and Ellie Olds going close on numerous occasions – Olds picking the ball up deep in the Forest half and shooting from range, rattling the crossbar.

Jodie Hunter had the chance to send the Vixens into the break two up.

She found herself with the ball at her feet from a corner, but her close-range shot could only find its way into the arms of Hallam.

The second half was much like the first, with traffic going in one direction. Beth Stanfield had an early chance, but her shot trickled just wide of the upright.

A penalty was waved away minutes later. Auker worked her way into the box and was bundling down but play was waved on.

Two chances came through Charlotte Gill and Auker. The forward tried to re-create her earlier effort and Gill tried to chip the ‘keeper, respectively.

Forest went close from a free-kick. The ball was put into the box and bounced coming off of a player, forcing a great close-range save from Davies before being cleared away from danger.

Guiseley doubled their lead ten minutes from time. Gill persistent as ever battled well for a ball before playing Olds through on the edge of the box. Her across the box ball wasn’t dealt with at the back post and Hall reacted first, netting on her full return to the side.

16-year-old Iona Bennett was subbed on for Gill in the 83rd minute for her first minutes for the side, instantly showing an impact with some smart runs and skilful play.

The win saw the Vixens keep their first clean sheet of the season, and they will want to take this form into the next game where they face last years league winners Blackburn Rovers, in the FAWNL Cup first round.

Photo: Alex Daniel