Vixens bow out of FA WPL Plate

Guiseley Vixens 4 – 4 Huddersfield Town Ladies
(Huddersfield won 5-4 on penalties)

Guiseley Vixens bowed out of the FA WPL Plate after suffering a defeat to Huddersfield Town Ladies on penalties after 120 minutes of battling football wasn’t enough to separate the two sides

Huddersfield’s Charley Evans tucked away her penalty past ‘keeper Beth Seasman before Olivia DaCostas’ spot kick was saved smartly by Laura Carter, gifting the visitors the win. 

Goals from Alarna Fuller, Abbie McIver, Natalie Brace and a Huddersfield own goal saw the Vixens push the side from the league above to the absolute limit in a game which showed the home side that they can battle with the best of them.

Huddersfield started off the better side and Debbie Hastings slotted the ball past Seasman to give the travelling side an early lead. 

The Vixens regained composure and after Liv Thackeray was brought down on the edge of the box, the resulting free-kick was whipped in before a goalmouth scramble saw Fuller keep a cool head and put the home side back in the game. 

Just after the half hour mark a long ball was played over the top and Seasman came to clear but failed to get a clean contact, allowing Hastings to walk the ball into an empty net to regain the lead. 

Guiseley started the second-half in complete contrast to the first, passing the ball around comfortably and controlling play. With the first chance of the half Charlie Blythe hit a half volley which narrowly went over Carter’s crossbar. 

Huddersfield’s lead was extended when Heckler slotted away after a looping ball was put into the box from a questionable free-kick. 

Undeterred, the Vixens didn’t let their heads drop and kept attacking. Substitute Abbie McIver slotted a goal home after a one-on-one with the ‘keeper just seven minutes after coming on to put Guiseley right back in the game. 

Seven minutes into extra-time saw Town regain their lead when a shot from Heckler hit the bar and rustled into the back of the net. 

Just after the second period of extra-time started Guiseley won a free-kick on the edge of the box in a dangerous position. A near identical ball to the McIver goal was produced which saw a Huddersfield player put it in the back of her own net.

Penalties were to decide the winner. The first six penalties were all converted before both teams had one saved. The next two penalties were both scored and Charley Evans put her penalty away to pile the pressure on Guiseley but Olivia DaCosta failed to put hers away.

After the game, joint manager Glen Preston said:“We were incredibly unlucky in the end.

“In terms of assessing the game I was worried for the first ten fifteen minutes, I thought Town started brilliantly, they took the lead and could have scored two or three more and I was worried for us but once we settled, we were outstanding. 

“I think we were the better of the two teams, created more chances, probably had close to 65 per cent possession today and I think we are incredibly unlucky not to grind out the win.”

“I’m sad for my players because I feel as though they deserved a little bit more out of the game but looking at the bigger picture, we are getting a benchmark for where we are at. Huddersfield are a great side, they’re fifth in the Premier League and looking at my squad today I’d say they are a top five Premier League side also.

He finished by saying: “There’s so many positives to take from this game. Some things today didn’t go our way like the 90th minute chance to win it but definitely positives to take and we will carry on battling in the league next week.”

Words by Oliver Coultas
Attendance: 50
Location: Nethermoor Park

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town