Vixens Bow Out of FA Women’s Cup

Guiseley Vixens bow out of the FA Women’s Cup in the second round, losing 2-0 away to Fylde Ladies.

A young squad made the trip to the Lancashire side and put in a fantastic performance with Kirstie Hunt, Panagiota Papaioannou and Poppy Saffery making their debuts. They joined teens Ebony Njie, Marti Floyd and Sophie Hawkins in a different looking Vixens side.

The travelling side battled well in the opening twenty minutes keeping Fylde’s chances to a minimum. The chances they did force through amounted to nothing, with Seasman making some good saves.

Fylde’s best chance in the period came when Laura Merrin struck from the edge of the box but her shot hit the post. The follow up was stopped fantastically by Hunt who slid in and cleared the ball well from inside the box.

The first chance for Guiseley came on the half-hour mark. Fiona Worts cut inside her marker and had a dipping shot which was spilt by ‘keeper Alex Brooks but she cleared it off the line at the second time of asking.

Worts was at the centre of the Guiseley attack. A fantastic passing move was slid through to her, but she was unable to put her shot past Brooks.

On the stroke of half-time, Fylde pulled ahead.

A long wind assisted kick from Brooks bounced over the Guiseley backline and Sophie Charlton got on the end of it to lob Beth Seasman to take them into the break one to the good.

The Vixens started the second half undeterred by the final stages of the first; attacking brightly with Worts and Player of the Match, Danica Roberts dancing through the lines.

Defensively, Guiseley looked good with captain Alarna Fuller, Beth Stanfield and Papaioannou blocking chances on numerous occasions.

Hawkins and Saffery were brought on in the 70th minute and added fresh legs to the away side.

Seasman produced her best save of the game when Lauren Davies tried a long shot but was denied. Seasman pushing the ball over the upright and out for a corner which was cleared away.

Chasing the game and a place in the next round, Guiseley pushed forward with everything they had but were dealt a final blow just before the 90th minute. A counter-attack by Fylde saw Davies get her goal and send them through to the third round.

Photo: Alex Daniel