Tongue’s Team’s Triple Topples Trinity

Guiseley progressed to the First Round Proper of the Isuzu FA Trophy after easing past fellow Northern Premier League side Gainsborough Trinity in the 3rd Round Qualifying tie at Northolme, writes Edward Robertson.

Interim player-manager Liam Tongue was very satisfied with his charges’ performances in North Lincolnshire. “I’m very pleased today. It was a proper away performance. We were clinical, as you saw in the first half with two goals in quick succession. Then, it was a case of game management which we executed very well.”

The fast-paced encounter began with Gainsborough swiftly out of the traps. Trinity threatened Guiseley’s goal first when, with the game only two minutes old, Javelle Clarke’s dangerous low cross found former Lion Dayle Southwell. However, Reece Kendall was on hand to clear the ball off the line.

Two minutes later, the deadlock was broken. Joe Stacey’s floated free kick picked out Tom Denton at the back post who nodded the ball to Jameel Ible in the six yard box. The captain scrambled it over the line to give the visitors the lead, before wheeling away in celebration.

The afternoon got better for Guiseley just before the 20 minute mark. Kendall’s well placed ball down the line was collected by Gabriel Johnson, who accurately swung the ball into the box. The cross found Kallan Murphy whose powerful header rippled the net to double the Lions’ advantage.

The visitors continued to dominate as the first half progressed. A cross from Stacey landed to Denton whose header just bounced wide.

Then it was the hosts’ turn to attack as half time grew closer. A ball over the top released Declan Howe who collided with Oliver Battersby. Howe recovered possession and attempted to lob the ball towards goal, but was denied by a brilliant chested save, outside the penalty area, from Battersby.

The second half continued in much the same vein as the first, to the Lions satisfaction. On the hour mark, Guiseley were awarded a penalty when Murphy was bundled to the floor by Dylan Cogill. Denton stepped up to take the spot kick, and expertly rolled the ball to the left hand side of former Lion Luke Jackson to give the visitors a comfortable three-goal lead.

The Holy Blues set about the task of finding a consolation. A curling cross from substitute Joel Holvey was pounced on by Southwell. The striker’s thumping header forced Battersby into making a fine reaction save to preserve the clean sheet.

With the ninetieth minute drawing closer, the Lions stepped back as the hosts continued to trouble them. Holvey’s ambitious effort from outside the box blazed over the bar.

In virtually the last kick of the game, Guiseley’s clean sheet crumbled as Gainsborough snatched a consolation. A precise Ashley Jackson cross was calmly collected by Southwell, who fired home.

It was a fantastic performance from the Lions as they booked a place in the First Round of the FA Trophy. It was a surprisingly comfortable victory on the road and Tongue was particularly proud of his side’s frame of mind.

“We’ve set high standards, we want a winning mentality. The game today was all about keeping that mentality, keeping those standards. And I think that showed today, the lads have ran themselves into the ground.”

Gainsborough Trinity 1-3 Guiseley | Saturday 7th October 2023 | Northolme

Attendance: 342

Team: 1. Ollie Battersby, 2. Josh Ashman, 3. Reece Kendall, 4. Leigh Whelan (70′ Devine), 5. Aiden Walker, 6. Jameel Ible (C), 7. Joe Stacey, 8. Callum Chippendale (83′ Valsau), 9. Tom Denton, 10. Gabriel Johnson and 11. Kallan Murphy (76′ Brown).

Subs: 12. Ollie Brown, 13. Brad Wade, 14. Danny Devine, 15. Courtney Meppen-Walters, 16. Foley Nkem, 17. Miguel Valsau and 18. Liam Tongue.

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley