Lions Undone By Set Pieces


Guiseley suffered their first home defeat of the season as Billy Heath’s well drilled Alfreton side took all three points back to the East Midlands with a 4-2 victory with three of the goals coming from set pieces.

This after Aaron Martin had put the Lions ahead only for Bobby Johnson and Joshua Thacker to put Town in front at the break

Jamie Spencer gave the home side hope on the hour but a penalty from Amari Morgan-Smith and a further effort from Danny Clarke ensured there would be no comeback from the home side.

Lets get on with this…

After a fairly quiet start goal machine Martin opened the scoring on nineteen minutes as he latched on to a through ball and slipped it past Jack Atkinson in the Alfreton goal for the opener.

Lee Shaw follows up Aaron Martins opener
Alex Daniel get a close up
Photographer Alex Daniel get a close up

The lead was short lived however as Town were awarded a dubious looking free kick 25 yards out from which Johnson hit a stunning strike into the top corner giving George Sykes-Kenworthy no chance on 23 minutes.

Town then inched ahead for the first time as the home defence lost possession to Thacker who then cut inside and unleashed a curling shot that beat Sykes-Kenworthy just inside the post.

Joshua Thacker squeezes Alfreton ahead

Guiseley came out with renewed vigour on the restart and Atkinson was out to deny Shaw early on.

Shaw denied by Atkinson

But the home side were level on the hour, albeit in strange circumstances. Referee Den Hulme awarded the Lions an indirect free kick twelve yards out presumably for a back pass to Atkinson and Spencer powered the ball home through the wall after Reiss McNally had played the free kick into his path.

Spencer’s side then wasted several golden opportunities to put themselves ahead as a shot was blocked and Martin headed the loose ball just over.

Lee Shaw’s cross into the six-yard box as put over the bar by Aram Soleman and then the same player ended a smart move but delayed his shot too long and Atkinson smothered the danger.

Arum Soleman goes close

Those misses proved crucial as another soft looking decision gave Morgan-Smith the chance to restore the visitors lead from the penalty spot and he duly obliged with fifteen minutes remaining and any hopes of a home comeback were snuffed out when some slack marking from a Town corner left Clarke with the simplest of finishes five minutes later.

Despite the defeat the Lions have an early chance to redeem themselves on Bank Holiday Monday as they travel to face bottom of the table Blyth Spartans who picked up their first point of the season in a goalless draw at fellow strugglers BPA this afternoon.

Attendance: 663


1 George Sykes-Kenworthy
2 Reiss McNally
3 Brad Nicholson
4 Dylan Barkers (Alex Starcenko 87)
5 Hamza Bencherif
6 Scott Garner
7 Lee Shaw
8 Jamie Spencer
9 Aaron Martin
10 Aram Soleman (Sam Scrivens 77)
11 Gabriel Johnson (Kaine Felix 71)


12 Kaine Felix
13 Lloyd Allinson
14 Alex Starcenko
15 Kennedy Digie
16 Sam Scrivens