Lions Through After Tough Encounter With Cleethorpes

Guiseley were made to fight for the right to host Stourbridge in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup by a resilient Cleethorpes Town side at Nethermoor this evening with a Will Hatfield penalty and a Kayode Odejayi header cancelling out Jon Oglesby’s stunning equalizer.

The Guiseley management kept faith with the eleven that had started on Saturday but with the addition of Kaine Felix and Tabish Hussain on the bench.

Belying their bottom of the table position two divisions below Guiseley Cleethorpes having learnt from Saturday’s encounter chased and harried the home side to try and disrupt their flow and for the first twenty-five minutes it worked as the Lions struggled to sustain any rhythm and produce a final killer ball.

During this spell Town forced a series of corners that culminated in Paul Walker’s shot being cleared off the line and Brody Robertson struck the base of the post with Joe Green beaten before the ball went behind for a goal kick.

As the Lions finally found some momentum Alex-Ray Harvey had a shot charged down and Niall Heaton’s goal bound shot was tipped over by Dylan Parkin.

Curtis Morrison replaced Kingsley James on the restart and nearly got on the end of a ball over the top with his first touch.

As the tempo increased Hatfield had his shot well saved by Parking and Purver’s follow up was over the bar.

The home sides pressure finally paid dividends just before the hour as the lively Scott Smith was felled in the area and Hatfield stepped up to take the resulting spot kick which Parkin parried only for the midfielder to follow up and tuck the loose ball home.

After  appeals for another penalty had been waved away the home side suffered a setback on 72 minutes when Ogelsby conjured an equalizer out of thin air, firing home with a low shot from the apex of the penalty area that gave Green no chance.

However, the lead lasted all of four minutes as Morrison, marauding down the lef,t delivered a pinpoint cross for Odejayi to power a header past Parkin and restore the Lions advantage.

The visitors were then reduced to ten men as Oli Donald was shown a second yellow card but the Owls still had one last try to force extra time but Collins free kick was easily gathered by Green.

Stourbridge now stand in the way of the Lions and a place in the First Round Proper for the second successive season, the tie to be played at Nethermoor on Saturday 20 October ko 3:00pm.


1 Green

2 Moyo

3 Heaton

4 Purver

5 Thornton

6 Halls

7 Smith (Walker 85)

8 James (Morrison 46)

9 Odejayi

10 Hatfield

11 Harvey


12 Morrison

13 Worsnop

14 Walters

15 Young

16 Clayton

17 Felix

18 Hussain

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town