Lions Sink Spennymoor

The Lions defeated Spennymoor Town 2-0 at Brewery Field thanks to goals from Andy Kellett and Gabriel Johnson, read more in our match report sponsored by

Guiseley arrived in the North East without a win since the opening evening of the 20/21 Vanarama National League North season but were boosted by the return of Andrai Jones from Hereford as he slotted into the centre of the midfield and goals from Kellett and Johnson in either half sealed an impressive win.

In a fast paced game the first chance fell to the hosts but Scott McLean couldn’t make the most of it as his shot went out for a throw-in.

Down the other end Kellett came close with a curled shot from 20 yards out and John Lufudu saw his cross well saved by Moors stopper Dale Eve.

Jonathan Wafula made his return to the side from injury and had two chances to get on the scoresheet, his first effort was blocked by captain Hamza Bencherif but his second went well over.

The Lions didn’t have to wait long after that for their opening goal, academy graduate Adam Haw, on his first senior start, latched onto possession and burst down the left hand side, his first pass was blocked but he picked out Kellett perfectly with his second and the former Notts County man slotted past Eve for his first Guiseley goal and a fine one at that.

Spennymoor were eager to find an equaliser but the next chance fell to Nathan Newall, Prince Ekpolo picked up a knock from a heavy tackle but recovered and played in the academy graduate who was in a good position on the left hand side but his effort was well blocked by Tyler Forbes.

The last chances of the opening half fell to the hosts, former Lion Jamie Spencer did well to get a cross in despite attention from Lufudu but Jason Kennedy wasted a free header and nodded it well wide of Brade Wade’s goal.

Haw had to come off at half-time injured and was replaced by fellow academy graduate Lewis Hey, his evening lasted half an hour though after picking up a knock and despite treatment from Head Therapist Ash Proctor the midfielder couldn’t carry on.

Town came out of the blocks quickly and one former Lion Spencer found another in Frank Mulhern with a good cross but the striker headed well wide of the mark.

It wasn’t long though before Marcus Bignot and Russ O’Neill’s side created another opening and Ekpolo nearly got his first Lions goal but Eve did well to stop his effort, the rebound fell to Hey but his effort cannoned over the bar.

Lufudu was causing all sorts of problems down the right hand side, his powerful cross was parried away by Eve as far as Hey but he couldn’t convert and the chance was gone.

Nathan Buddle and Glenn Taylor both had chances for Spennymoor but couldn’t take advantage and fired over in what was continuing to be an open game.

In the 90th minute McLean looked as if he had pulled an equaliser out of the bag but he didn’t count on Wade’s superb double save, his first from the midfielders shot was parried onto the underside of the bar before the Rochdale loanee recovered and blocked the effort on the rebound.

It proved crucial as a couple of minutes later a mix up at the back put Johnson in and he couldn’t miss the open goal to double the tally and add gloss to the win.

The Lions return to Nethermoor on Saturday for the visit of Brackley Town with kick-off at 3pm.

Marcus Bignot’s thoughts


  1. Brad Wade, 2. John Lufudu, 3. George Cantrill, 4. Andrai Jones, 5. Hamza Bencherif (C), 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7. Adam Haw (46′ Hey | 77′ Johnson), 8. Prince Ekpolo, 9. Jonathan Wafula, 10. Andy Kellett (90′ Nicholson) and 11. Nathan Newall.


12. Brad Nicholson (90′ Kellett), 14. Mark Howarth, 15. Dan Cowan, 16. Gabriel Johnson (77′ Hey) and 17. Lewis Hey (46′ Haw).