Lions Ride Their Luck In Derby Stalemate

In a classic game of two halves Guiseley surrendered a one goal lead and then gained a share of the spoils courtesy of Regan Hutchinson’s late, late equaliser. Read how the drama unfolded in our match report sponsored by

Both sides came fresh into this last game of the year as their respective Boxing Day clashes had been postponed and the Avenue should have been ahead early on when a free kick for the visitors resulted in a diving punch by Owen Mason that fell at the feet of ex-Lion Oli Johnson who saw his shot cleared off the line by Andy Hollins who headed the follow up off the goal line.

The Lions responded with their own spell of pressure which culminated in the opening goal which came from a free kick on the right that was floated in by Jamie Spence for Jake Hull to get ahead of George Sykes-Kenworthy and head home.

Prince Ekpolo fired one just wide for the home side and Spencer did well to create space for himself amongst a posse of visiting defenders, but his shot was straight at Sykes-Kenworthy.

At the other end Mason produced a superb save to deny Brad Dockerty and maintain the Lions’ slim advantage.

The second half started with Avenue in the ascendancy as Guiseley struggled to get out of their own half and the equaliser wasn’t long in coming.

It all started with a Guiseley free kick that was collected by Sykes-Kenworthy and his judicious throw to Dockerty found him in acres of space,  his pass setting up Dylan Mottley-Henry to drive across Mason into the far corner for the equaliser on 50 minutes.

Andy Kellett made way for Jacob Gratton, but it was Mason who was once again in action to deny Avenue a second goal.

The Lions made another change on 81 minutes with George Cantrill coming on for Spencer but a minute later Bradford were ahead as a through ball set Dockerty scampering past Hamza Bencherif to beat Mason and give Mark Bower’s side the lead. Avenue then had the ball in the net again but to the relief of the home fans it was ruled out by an offside flag.

Having been second best for much of the second period the goal finally prompted a response from the Lions as Josh Stones was replaced by Adam Haw and with five minutes of added time they set about crafting an equaliser.

A trio of free kicks came to nothing, but a corner from the right saw two shots blocked before the ball fell to Hutchinson on the edge of the area and the young wing back rifled it through a crowded penalty area and past the unsighted Sykes-Kenworthy for a 92nd minute equaliser.

Attendance: 1117

Team: 1. Owen Mason, 20. Ollie Brown, 3. Jake Hull, 4. Prince Ekpolo, 5. Hamza Bencherif (C), 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7. Andy Hollins, 18. Jamie Spencer (81’ Cantrill) , 9. Josh Stones (87’ Haw), 10. Andy Kellett (59’ Gratton) and 11. Regan Hutchinson.

Subs: 12. George Cantrill, 14. Lewis Hey, 15. Brad Nicholson, 16. Jacob Gratton and 19. Adam Haw.

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town