Lions Pegged Back By Two Late Goals As Town Force Replay

Seemingly cruising at two nil with goals from Will Hatfield and Kingsley James Guiseley failed to capitalize on a couple of chances to put the game to bed and then conceded two goals in four minutes from dead ball situations as Daniel North and Scott Vernon squared matters to setup a replay at Nethermoor on Tuesday.

The Lions lined up with Kayode Odejayi up front in place of Paul Clayton who reverted to the bench while Andy Halls dropped back to partner Will Thornton at the heart of the defence.

Town came into the game on good form having won a replay at Bamber Bridge by five goals to nil after a 3-3 draw at the Linden Club in the last round followed by a 3-1 win over Mossley in the FA Trophy last Saturday and then a 3-3 draw with AFC Mansfield in midweek.

The first half was mainly confined to the midfield as the Lions tried to impose themselves on the home side who ply their trade two leagues below the visitors in the Evo Stick NPL Division One East.

With chances few and far between Odejayi’s header was straight at Dylan Parkin and Cliff Moyo also shot straight into the home keepers’ midriff while Brody Robertson shot into the side netting for Town.

Will Hartfield brought a good save from Parkin and then thought he had given the visitors the lead on the cusp of halftime from Alex-Ray Harveys cross but his joy was short-lived as referee Andrew Kitchen pulled play back for an infringement.

The second half started with Guiseley on the attack and early effort from James sailed just over the angle while Hatfield brought a smart save from Parkin as the home custodian pushed the midfielders shot round the post.

With Odejayi largely ineffective up front it was left to academy graduate Scott Smith to provide the impetus as his low cross was drilled home by Hatfield from twelve yards on 62 minutes.

Five minutes later Smith’s persistence paid off once again as he hustled Sam Topliss to win the ball  and pull it back for James to beat Parkin with a daisy cutter from the edge of the area although the keeper did get a hand to it.


Both sides then hit the bar, Robertson for the home side and Hatfield for the visitors.


But with the home side growing in confidence the Lions failed to heed the warnings and when a free kick was played in from the left North prodded home at the back post with six minutes left.

This left the visitors to play out the remaining six minutes but once again they were undone from a set piece that almost mirrored the first goal, this time with Vernon netting to set up an unlikely replay at Nethermoor on Tuesday ko 7:45.


1 Green

2 Moyo

3 Heaton

4 Purver

5 Thornton

6 Halls

7 Smith

8 James

9 Odejayi

10 Hatfield

11 Harvey


12 Morrison

14 Worsnop

15 Walters

16 Clayton

17 Dyche

18 Young