Lions Pay The Penalty In Stafford Stalemate

The Lions had to settle for a point on the road at Stafford Rangers this afternoon after a second half equaliser from the spot pegged Danny Ellis’ side back, writes Adam Bridson.

Callum Chippendale buried a penalty for his second strike from the spot in successive away games but Tom Tonks equalised with 15 minutes left.

The scrappy game played in Staffordshire October sunshine produced few chances but it was The Lions who will feel they should have won.

It took 10 minutes for the first real moment of excitement, Mohammad Qasim fired a powerful shot goalwards which smacked off the crossbar bouncing down in front of the line with Cameron Belford rooted the ground.

After a settled 15 minutes or so Jake Cassidy earned his side a penalty after his knockdown was handled in the box by a home defender. Chippendale stepped up and made no mistake sending Belford the wrong way to break the deadlock.

Tonks caused problems all afternoon with his trademark long throws but the visiting defence and Kyle Trenerry cleared all the danger comfortably.

The half came to a close when Joe Ackroyd won his side a free kick but he couldn’t beat Belford from 25 yards out.

The second 45 continued in the tightly matched fashion of the first and Cassidy nearly presented Qasim with a golden opening just eight minutes in. The captain capitalised on a mistake in the Rangers back line but his pass, which had taken Belford out of the game, to Qasim was intercepted just as the number 7 was about to score a certain goal.

Chippendale’s afternoon ended after 57 minutes after he was caught by a heavy challenge from Tonks, Luke Dean came on in his place.

Qasim had another chance after a good attack from his side which saw a cross from Ackroyd find the forward but he couldn’t beat Belford with a shot on the turn.

With 76 minutes on the clock Tonks scored from the spot to level the scores, the referee had spotted a handball much to the disagreement of Ellis and his back line.

It was the Lions who would go on to have the better openings though as Qasim could have bagged his side a winner but it wasn’t to be.

The first chance for Qasim was created from nothing by the forward as he stole possession from Ethan Stewart but it was an advancing Belford who won the contest with a good save to stop the low shot.

With four minutes left the final and best chance went to Qasim after a Lions counter attack. Stafford saw two shots from a corner blocked and Nicky Walker cleared to substitute Adam Haw who showed great balance and strength to see off two home defenders before teeing up Qasim but his shot from a tight angle flew over the bar.

That was the last major opening for either side in a closely fought contest as Ellis’ men turn their attentions to an Isuzu FA Trophy trip to Macclesfield on Saturday.

Stafford Rangers 1-1 Guiseley | Saturday 22nd October 2022 | Marston Road

Attendance: 704

Team:1. Kyle Trenerry, 2. Kwame Boateng, 3. Jameel Ible, 4. Ross Daly, 5. Danny Ellis, 6. Lebrun Mbeka, 7. Mohammad Qasim (87’ Chimalilo), 8. Callum Chippendale (57’ Dean), 9. Jake Cassidy (C), 10. Joe Ackroyd (67’ Haw) and 11. Nicky Walker.

Subs: 12. Adam Haw, 14. Donald Chimalilo, 15. Luke Dean, 16. George Smith and 17. Ethen Vaughan.

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley