Lions Open The Season With A Defeat

An optimistic Guiseley saw their hopes of a good start to the season come crashing down thanks to a 3-0 defeat at the hands of newly-promoted Marine AFC writes Cayden Sands.

The first chance came for the Lions with just shy of two minutes gone, with captain Jack Cassidy putting in a good long-ball to John Johnston, who then crossed with Lewis Hey his target, but the contested ball was collected by Marine keeper Bayleigh Passant.

10 minutes had passed before the visitors had a chance of their own, with the ball finding the feet of Sean Smith outside the box, but his first-time effort flew well wide and failed to trouble Kyle Trenerry.

Marine would then take the lead on 16 minutes courtesy of Lucas Weir, who capitalised on Josh Solomon-Davies catching a long-ball inside the box before it was squared to the feet of Weir who powered the ball into an open net.

The Lions nearly pulled it back immediately, with Johnston’s header from a Hey cross being saved at close-range by Passant, with the resulting corner being caught by the Mariners’ keeper.

Marine would nearly double their lead on half an hour after a defensive error led to the ball finding the feet of Jake Burton, but his low and powerful effort was safely caught by Trenerry.

Guiseley’s performance would then show some improvement, with some good passing moves, but just no end product, with Johnston’s long-range effort being deflected.

A Lions equaliser seemed to be coming closer and it nearly came courtesy of Ethan Cartwright, whose long-range effort on 38 minutes went agonisingly wide of the goal, keeping Marine in front.

Despite some late Guiseley pressure, including a penalty claim and a header from Cassidy being cleared off the line, it would be Marine who went in a goal to the good, with the Lions hoping they could change their fortunes after the break.

The second-half started and the home side almost immediately equalised, with substitute Charlie Wood’s squared ball finding the feet of Hey, but his close-range effort was deflected for a corner that ultimately came to nothing.

The Lions’ momentum continued, but aside from a curling long-ranged effort from Cassidy going just wide, this wouldn’t be rewarded with an equaliser before the hour mark.

Against the run of play, the Mariners nearly doubled their advantage on 73 minutes after a series of saved efforts, with Smith’s saved effort ultimately ending the threat, giving Guiseley a lifeline.

78 minutes had passed and the home side’s push for an equaliser continued, with John Johnston having a promising looking long-range effort, but it ultimately dipped and sailed over the net.

Despite all the pressure from the hosts, it would be Marine who doubled their advantage with eight minutes left thanks to Burton, who tucked the ball into the bottom left-hand corner to double the Mariners’ advantage and put the game beyond the Lions, with the sending off of Jorge Sikora moments later further sealing their woes.

The Lions’ misery was piled on further on 88 minutes thanks to Callum Harris, whose effort bounced over Trenerry and into the net, further sealing an impressive three points for the visitors.

Guiseley showed some promise at points in the game and will rue not taking their chances, whilst Marine will feel on top of the world and will feel as if they beat can beat anyone after this impressive start to the season.

Guiseley 0-3 Marine | Saturday 13th August 2022 | Nethermoor

Attendance: 565

Team: 1. Kyle Trenerry, 2. Ethen Vaughan (46′ Wood), 3. Jonny Haase, 4. Ethan Cartwright, 5. Jorge Sikora, 6. Spencer Harris, 7. John Johnston (83′ Haw), 8. Luke Dean, 9. Jake Cassidy (C), 10. Lewis Hey (60′ Greaves) and 11. Andy Kellett

Subs: 12. Adam Haw, 13. Scott Moloney (GK) (unused), 14. Charlie Wood, 15. Jerome Greaves, 16. Foley Nkem (unused).

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley