Lions Leave It Late, Very Late

Lewis Whitham’s quick reactions secured a valuable three points for the Lions at Nethermoor with practically the last kick of the game.

A late Callum Chippendale penalty, awarded five minutes into stoppage time, was saved by Morpeth goalkeeper Daniel Lowson only for Whitham to be quickest off the mark and pounce on the rebound.

The goal was greeted by an eruption of noise from the home crowd who witnessed Guiseley’s first home victory in six-weeks and which ended a run of four consecutive defeats.

It was a welcome win for The Lions new management team and pleased new boss Paul Phillips despite the fact that Guiseley left it late to secure the victory.

“Its not good for my grey hairs”, the new boss beamed, “It looked like it was going to be a 0-0 but I felt we were by far the better team and on the front foot, we perhaps petered out a bit from the 70th minute, but I thought Jake Cassidy was unplayable today against two very good centre halves. All in all it was a good step towards where we need to go.”

From the start it was Guiseley who seized the initiative. A long-range free kick was pushed away by Lowson after just two minutes. This set the tone for the first half.

The Lions pressed and pressed but couldn’t find a way through a well organised Morpeth defence. On 15 minutes neat interplay down the left flank culminated in George Smith whipping a cross in which was stabbed just over by Mohammad Qasim.

Cassidy had the ball in the net after 22 minutes after having made space in the box following a free kick. The cheers were shortlived though as the assistant referee had his flag up for offside.

Whitham’s creative spark almost paid dividends on 28 minutes when he made a brilliant run on the left before delivering a low cross that squirmed its way across the face of goal. Unfortunately his teammates couldn’t apply a decisive touch.

Jameel Ible came close with a header from a corner in the 33rd minute. However, the ball had already swung out of play beforehand so the opportunity wouldn’t have counted in any case.

Qasim produced a low left footed drive after 42 minutes that went just wide of the upright in the last action of a half the Lions dominated.

The Morpeth players came out of the changing rooms early for the second half and sought to impose themselves more firmly on the game. The match became a little more feisty, combative, and open.

The visitors almost opened the scoring on 69 minutes after Kyle Trenerry came out of his area to clear only for Ryan Donaldson to intercept on the half way line. With the Guiseley goalkeeper stranded Donaldson failed to capitalise with a long range lob that was wide of the mark.

Kwame Boateng, who had a very effective game at right-back, produced a incisive cross that was well defended by the Morpeth defence on 76 minutes. Substitute Adam Haw also produced a couple of dangerous looking deliveries from the same flank but to no avail.

As Morpeth pressed Trenerry was foxed by a wicked bobble as he stepped out of his area to clear a through ball. Thankfully, Adam Yates was on hand to intercept the loose ball and clear before Town substitute Ben Ramsay could pounce.

With the game seemingly petering out to a draw the referee Lee Hible penalised an ariel challenge in the box by Michael Turner and pointed at the spot. Chippendale stepped up to take the kick but Lowson guessed right and saved. Whitham reacted first to the rebound to secure the vital victory.

Guiseley 1-0 Morpeth Town  | Saturday 3rd December 2022 | Nethermoor

Attendance: 516

Team:  1. Kyle Trenerry, 2. Kwame Boateng, 3. George Smith (C), 4. Ross Daly, 5. Jameel Ible, 6. Adam Yates, 7. Joe Ackroyd (80′ Hartley), 8. Callum Chippendale, 9. Jake Cassidy, 10. Lewis Whitham and 11. Mohammad Qasim (60′ Haw).

12. Adam Haw, 14. Keegan Hartley, 15. Jordan Emery, 16. Ekow Coker and 17. Andy Kellett.

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley