Lions Heed Into September With A Defeat

The Lions couldn’t replicate Saturday’s comeback win at Gateshead after two early strikes from the hosts set them on their way, read our full report sponsored by

Macaulay Langstaff’s brace inside the first 12 minutes was enough to defeat a Lions side looking to record back to back wins after Bailey Thompson’s first goal for the club gave his side late hope.

Langstaff will wonder how he didn’t get an hat-trick after having numerous chances in the game but he took his first goal well. After eight minutes Langstaff was in behind the defence and he smacked it into the roof of Jordan Amissah’s net from a tight angle to open the scoring.

The game hadn’t really settled down when Langstaff struck his second four minutes later, he was found on the edge of the box and cut in from the left hand side before firing a unstoppable effort into the opposite corner.

Langstaff was on the look out for his elusive third goal when he was in down the left hand side again but his effort hit the side netting and one minute later Matty Jacob tried to score from a similar angle but his strike got the same result.

It took twenty minutes for Guiseley’s first opening and it came through Kaine Felix, the forward was played in with a long ball forward but his shot was blocked by a Gateshead defender.

Further Heed chances were wasted through Langstaff and Adam Campbell before a moment of panic in the Lions’ penalty area. Amissah tried to see the ball out for a goal kick but Owen Bailey showed good strength to keep it in. He then fell to the ground but the referee pointed for a goal kick instead of the penalty the home side wanted.

Just before half-time Bailey looked to tee up his teammate Langstaff for his third goal of the half but his powerful cross was just out of the attacker’s reach.

The second half got off to a feisty start when Brad Nicholson and Campbell received a yellow card each for an off the ball altercation.

Nicholson continued his involvement in the early action in the second 45 when he denied Campbell from a certain goal with an excellent recovery block and then seconds later he cleared Scott’s cross off the line from under his own crossbar. The ball was then cleared to Jacob who from 25 yards out forced Amissah into a great save when his shot looked set for the top corner.

The game then entered a settled period with both sides struggling to create chances and it wasn’t until substitute Thompson netted from close range to half the deficit that the fixture livened up. Nicholson recycled the ball into the forward who finished from close range for his first Lions goal.

The final chance fell to goalkeeper Amissah, a late Lions corner from Nicholson found the on-loan Sheffield United man but his header went wide.

Congratulations to academy graduate Oli Metcalfe who made his first senior start and appearance.

The Lions must now focus on returning to winning ways at Nethermoor on Saturday in the first of successive home games with Kidderminster Harriers the visitors.

Attendance: 867 including 38 travelling Guiseley supporters.

Team: 1. Jordan Amissah, 2. Jake Hull, 3. Brad Nicholson, 4. Prince Ekpolo, 5. Hamza Bencherif (C), 6. Lebrun Mbeka (46’ Thewlis), 7. Kaine Felix (78’ Haw), 8. George Cantrill, 9. Jacob Gratton, 10. Oli Metcalfe (66’ Thompson) and 11. Regan Hutchinson.


12. Jordan Thewlis (46’ Mbeka), 14. Bailey Thompson (66’ Metcalfe), 15. Andy Hollins, 16. Jake Day and 17. Adam Haw (78’ Felix).

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town