Lions And Bulls Locked In A Stalemate

Hereford and Guiseley somehow both failed to score a goal in Saturday’s 0-0 draw at Edgar Street despite plenty of attacking football in an end-to-end game. 

With new signing Chris Sang starting up front, Kennedy Digie in the centre of defence and Andrai Jones slotting back into the midfield it was a changed side from the last game with Kidderminster Harriers after a blank weekend for The Lions.

The first chance of the afternoon fell to Sang but his shot from distance flew comfortably over the bar in a quiet opening but the game came alive in the 25th minute.

Digie saw his effort on goal blocked and a few seconds later Gabriel Johnson found Sang free in the box but his shot was straight at Brandon Hall in Hereford’s goal, the rebound fell to Kaine Felix and his effort was cleared off the line by Brad Hodgkiss.

Felix, who was at the centre of The Lions’ attacking play all afternoon, forced Hall into another stop as shot from the edge of the area looked to be flying in.

The half came to a close with the visitors having the best of the opportunities, Marcus Dewhurst was yet to be tested at Edgar Street.

Marcus Bignot and Russ O’Neill sent their side out for the second half and they got off to a good start, Digie came close to connecting with Johnson’s corner in the first minute but the big defender just couldn’t meet the cross.

Hereford came into the game a bit more in the second half and Dewhurst made two good saves, firstly he punched away a cross from Stephen Dawson and then caught Danny Greenslade’s free kick which looked to have plenty of power behind it.

Then on the hour mark The Lions created a good opening, George Cantrill found Felix in the box but the winger’s effort went just wide with Hall beaten.

The best chance for the hosts fell to Reece Styche who looked certain to head in Greenslade’s cross as he was two yards out from goal but his effort went over the bar.

Hereford had dominated possession and the play for a quarter of the half but the final ten minutes belonged to The Lions and it started with Felix’s effort clipping the post, he worked himself an opening on the edge of the area and unleashed a shot which had Hall beaten.

Hall proved his worth to The Bulls on the 84th minute and again it was Felix who tested him, the wingers low effort looked certain to be the opening goal of the game but the keeper saved low down to his right and pushed the shot past the post.

Then in injury time Hamza Bencherif powered a header over the bar as The Lions travelled back to Yorkshire with a hard earned point and perhaps a little unlucky to not take all three.

We’re back at Nethermoor on Boxing Day for the visit of Farsley Celtic, kick-off is at 3pm with tickets available to purchase at the turnstiles on the day or online in advance here.

Attendance: 1863 including 24 visiting supporters

Team: 1. Marcus Dewhurst, 2. Reiss McNally, 3. Brad Nicholson, 4. Andrai Jones, 5. Hamza Bencherif, 6. Kennedy Digie, 7. Kaine Felix, 8. George Cantrill, 9. Chris Sang, 10. Aram Soleman and 11. Gabriel Johnson.

Subs: 12. Scott Smith, 14. Dylan Barkers, 15. Lee Shaw, 16. Paul Clayton and 17. Nathan Newall. (All unused.)

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Leeds United U21s