Fantastic Five For Young Lions

Guiseley Academy notched a 5-0 win over visitors Altrincham as they relentlessly ploughed on in pursuit of the title, writes Rachel O’Connor.

With two rounds of games left in the National League Under-19 Alliance North Guiseley lead Farsley Celtic by five points while third placed Blyth would need to win all four of their remaining games to top Guiseley’s current tally.

However, therein lies a problem with one of those games against Guiseley and as yet it has no scheduled date for play with the league still deliberating on if or when it should be played.

Dave Currie’s Young Lions turned up at Nethermoor for the clash with Altrincham averaging five goals a game in their last three outings.

This was to be no different with goals coming from Jack Mason (2), Kyle Burrows, Max Dickinson and Lewin Storton.

K’Marni Miller was still missing from the team and Storton returned to the starting line-up to pair with Joe Taylor in the centre of defence with Freddie Westfall out.

Of course defenders again figured in the scoring with Burrows notching his tenth goal of the season from the penalty spot and Storton firing home his fifth.

Guiseley got off to a good start with a good driving run from George Sebine which earned a corner. Sebine then put a bullet header just wide before midfielder Max Dickinson notched his second goal in successive games in the 25th minute.

An Altrincham corner was cleared before Jack Mason made it 2-0 after good work by Sebine and Guiseley took a 3-0 lead when they were awarded a 34th minute penalty.

Right-back Burrows stepped up to stroke the penalty home taking him into double figures for the season. Both he and left-back K’Marni Miller now have ten goals each for the campaign.

At the start of the second-half Burrows was stopped by a good tackle as he ran into the box and towards goal.

On 55 minutes Marley Spence replaced Dickinson before Sebine created himself another chance but shot wide. The big striker was a real presence throughout and was unlucky to finish without a goal to his name.

The Alty ‘keeper made a good block from Jack Mason but as the ball was re-cycled it came back to Mason and he was fouled.

He picked himself up to take the penalty kick in the 66th minute to notch his 17th goal of the season to become the side’s leading scorer.

He took over from Danyaal Khan who notched his 16th after replacing Mason Donaldson in the 75th minute.

Guiseley kept probing in the final stages with Oliwier Grzelak getting in a good strike which just went wide, Burrows shooting wide after a good run and Sebine hitting a shot from range which the ‘keeper took.

Sebine then had a shot blocked at the expense of a corner which Grzelak fired across the six yard box for Storton to force home for 5-0.

There was just time for one final effort with Grzelak’s shot stinging the ‘keeper’s hands.

Another good performance from this Guiseley side who never fail to entertain.

Guiseley: Callum Bradbury; Kyle Burrows, Joe Taylor, Lewin Storton, Robbie Murray; Mason Donaldson, Sam Walters, Max Dickinson, Oliwier Grzelak; Jack Mason, George Sebine. Subs: Danyaal Khan (for Donaldson 75), Marley Spence (for Dickinson 55).

It was a good day all round for the Academy with the Development side also notching a convincing 6-1 win over Mansfield Town.

Next Wednesday sees Guiseley entertain FC Halifax Town at Leeds Trinity University.

Next Up:

7:45 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Avro vs Guiseley