Evans View: Honours Even in Relegation Six-Pointer

In a frantic game at Nethermoor Park, Guiseley’s hopes of distancing themselves from the bottom three were thwarted as Sam Sheridan’s wonder goal from a free-kick cancels out Kingsley James’ opener.

The game began in dramatic fashion as Andy Halls played a long ball to Kayode Odejayi who got to the ball before the visitors’ goalkeeper George McMahon but Guiseley’s number 9 couldn’t quite get his header on target. The next chance fell to Ashton’s Connor Dimalo when the Lions’ attempted clearance fell into the path of The Robins’ number 10 but he could only rattle the crossbar.

Connor Dimlo’s (10) shot strikes the bar

Kaine Felix was proving to be a handful for Ashton’s defence and almost squared it to Odejayi for what would’ve been an easy tap-in, only for the visitors to get back just in time to send the ball out of play for a corner.

Towards the end of the first half there were a number of set plays for both sides as man-of-the-match Will Hatfield almost found the top left corner just outside the box and Sheridan put in a couple of dangerous crosses but captain Scott Garner managed to organise his defence well to prevent Jody Banim’s team going into the break with a goal to the good.

The second 45 minutes was end-to-end football as the hosts’ started the half on the front foot when Kingsley James’ attempt that looked to be heading towards the goal was blocked following a free-kick that was won by attacking full-back George Cantrill.

Sheridan continued to threaten Guiseley’s back four as he got on the end of a through ball but his shot hit the side netting. After about half an hour played, Guiseley were beginning to build some momentum as they won an accumulation of set pieces and the Lions finally broke the deadlock in the 77th minute when the ref Andy Sykes gave a penalty for handball which was converted by a composed James.

However Guiseley’s lead only lasted four minutes as Felix conceded an avoidable free-kick on the halfway line, and Sheridan took full advantage by scoring a long-range goal which flew past Marcus Dewhurst into the bottom left corner.

Sam Sheridan (7) on the far left watches his free kick beat Marcus Dewhurt for Ashton’s equaliser.

Guiseley tried to restore their lead by hitting The Robins on the break a couple of times but Felix had strayed into an offside position on the first occasion and then overrun the second attempt.

With not long to go, Dimalo thought he had won his team a penalty to give Ashton a chance of gaining all three  points but the ref instead gave a free-kick to Guiseley and booked Dimalo for his protestations, much to the relief of centre-half Josh Langley.

In the final few minutes both sides pushed men forward in a desperate attempt to boost their survival hopes, but in the end both teams had to settle for a point apiece in front of the 655 fans in attendance this Saturday afternoon.

The result means that the Lions remain four points ahead of relegation rivals Ashton United on 38 points, however Banim’s outfit are still very much within touching distance as the battle against the drop reaches its penultimate stage.



League Table – Bottom Four & Fixtures:

PldWDLFAGDPtsFri 19 AprSat 22 AprSat 27 Apr
20Ashton Utd3997234180-3934ChesterBostonAltrincham