Defensive Lapses Nearly Costs Lions Before Paul Clayton’s Late Winner

Guiseley’s defensive frailties were in evidence again this evening as having surrendered a two goal lead on Saturday they went one better as Barnoldswick pulled three goals back in an inspired second half display only to be undone by Paul Clayton’s header deep into added time.

Guiseley got off to the best possible start as Livesey tipped Will Hatfield’s powerful shot on to the bar only to be beaten by Will Thornton’s back header from Niall Heaton’s long throw which sailed over the visiting keeper after just ten minutes to put the home side ahead.

Playing some scintillating football the Lions doubled their advantage as Cliff Moyo sent the ball across the six yard box where Clayton’s back-heel was parried by Livesey into the path of Scott Smith who volleyed home at the far post.

The Lions then went three up after fifteen minutes as Curtis Morrison beat two defenders to pull the ball back from the bye line for Clayton to bag his first.

Andy Halls saw his shot deflected for a corner as the home side piled on the pressure and both Smith and Will Hatfield went close.

Recovering from these early setbacks Town gradually began to get a foothold in the game and created a couple of half chances before the break.

There was a blow for the home side as Scott Smith limped off as the half came to a close to be replaced by Jack Dyche.

The visitor’s confidence was further boosted as Lewis Morgan got in front of Joe Green from a right wing corner to nod home just after the hour.

Five minutes later Barlick reduced the deficit even further as Shaun Airey’s superb free kick over the defensive wall found the top corner.

Now on the backfoot Guiseley were further rocked back on their heels by former player Zack Dale who side footed home from close range to send Town’s supporters behind the goal into ecstasy.

Although though they were denied what looked like a clear penalty when Moyo was brought down from behind and had a goal chalked off for Clayton being caught offside the Lions huffed and puffed for much of the second half.

All of which changed deep into added time when Clayton headed home the winner from a corner to save his side’s blushes after another defensive capitulation.

The win now sees Guiseley play Ossett United in the Final which is scheduled for early April.


1-Worsnop (Green 45)







8-Halls (Liburd)


10-Smith (Dyche 45)