Academy go down fighting in Cup

Thanks to Reg Allwood for sending in this comprehensive match report of the Academy’s FA Youth Cup tie at Bury on Wednesday.

The Football Association Youth Cup (Under 18s) – First Round

Bury AFC 6 v Guiseley AFC 2

Played at Bury AFC Gigg Lane, Bury
On Wednesday 6th November 2013. Kick Off 7.00pm.

Guiseley AFC Under 18s did themselves, the club and supporters proud with a sterling performance at a wet Gigg Lane ground. They battled away but a few defensive blunders did not help their cause as the Bury side took full advantage of the errors.

Guiseley got off to the worst possible start when Bury opened the scoring after 54 seconds, Anthony Dudley going straight through the middle to strike a shot past the helpless Conor Crossley in goal; he had no chance of making the save.  In the 4th minute Guiseley had their first shot when Ben Whitfield, who was to be a thorn in Bury’s side all night, sent in a shot that brought a diving save from Bury goalkeeper Jonathan Barber.

In the 15th minute Guiseley were unlucky not to draw level when after some great passing from the back down the middle of the pitch, the ball was played through to Whitfield who controlled his run and the ball superbly before unleashing a fierce shot which crashed against the foot of the near post and came back into play, a moment to treasure!

Then in the 33rd minute Bury extended their lead against the run of play when they gained a corner on the right which was played into the middle near the 6 yard box and with the Guiseley defenders stood flat footed at the back post, Matthew Cook moved towards the ball to send a firm header into the net unopposed.

In the 40th minute Bury went further ahead with a magnificent team goal, moving the ball out of defence down the right, Ben Potter to Sam Dickinson who raced onto the ball near the corner flag and crossed superbly into the middle for Anthony Dudley to run in at full tilt and hammer the ball into the net.

Guiseley came back though and in the 43rd minute Ben Whitfield scored the individual goal of the match, when he picked up a pass just over the halfway line, raced forward at speed beating defenders to finish with a blistering shot from the edge of the penalty that flew into the net.

Half Time 3 – 1

Bury scored a fourth goal when a mis-hit shot by Brayden Shaw crept in at the far post and in the 71st minute defender Dan Holmes lost the ball on the right touchline, with the cross to the far post hit into the net by Sam Dickinson.

After 83 minutes pressure by Ashley Tatler ended with Luke Porritt receiving the ball an unleashing a blazing shot into the net to complete his fine performance in the game.

Bury scored a 6th goal in the 2nd minute of added time with a goal scored by Anthony Dudley giving him a fine hat-trick after Dale Spink had lost possession in the middle of the field.

Despite the defeat, the side’s progression in the competition symbolises the progress made by the academy – something everyone at the club has watched with pride.

The squad for the above game was:
Redmond Lee, Callum Marshall, Odun Odebe, Luke Porritt, Ben Walker, Elliot Scott, Bakar Dar,
Conor Crossley, Dan Holmes, Danny Dalton, Ben Whitfield, Dale Spink, Ashley Tatler, Will Wells
and Josh Snowden.


Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town