16/17 Season Review: August

August was memorable for all the wrong reasons, with no points picked up in the seven matches in the month.

The season started with a long trip to one of the early title favourites Eastleigh, their Silverlake Stadium home played host to commence the campaign.

The Spitfires got off to an electric start with two goals in the first half, Drury and Partington looked to put the match out of reach for the Lions. However Michael Rankine pulled one back with his first goal for the club from Adam Smith’s free-kick after the interval.

Wrexham visited Nethermoor next and we were unlucky to come away from the match with nothing, Rankine scored his second goal in two matches with a rocket of a free-kick. John Rooney equalised from the spot for the Dragons. McDonagh put his side ahead before Jake Lawlor’s late equaliser looked to have earned his team a point. However Paul Rutherford’s excellent strike in injury time sent the visitors home with all three points.

Dagenham & Redbridge made the long journey north for our next test. In a fairly comfortable match for the Daggers goals from Chris Assombalonga and Oliver Hawkins sent the visiting supporters home happy.

We were back on the road for a short trip to North Ferriby’s Grange Lane home. The hosts flew into an early lead with strikes from Ryan Kendall and Danny Emmerton inside the opening 20 minutes. Oli Johnson pulled one back ten minutes later before he doubled his tally with seven minutes left. Just like the Wrexham match a couple of weeks earlier a late sting was in the tale for Mark Bower’s men and Simon Russell’s winner came in the last minute.

A third 3-2 defeat  followed when we travelled to Solihull Moors, Alex Purver made his debut for the club but couldn’t prevent Andy Brown from opening the scoring. Will Hatfield equalised shortly before half-time and Adam Boyes put us in front with just ten minutes to go. However Brown got his second of the afternoon before Harry White’s goal ensured our fifth defeat of the season. Mark Bower and Danny Boshell parted company with the club the day after.

Adam Lockwood’s first game as interim manager was against Bromley at Nethermoor. Adam Smith’s deflected consolation was the only positive from the afternoon as goals from Blair Turgott, Louis Dennis, Max Porter and Bradley Goldberg sent the visitors home with all three points.

It didn’t get easier as next up was a trip to Prenton Park to take on Tranmere Rovers live on BT Sport. James Norwood’s goal late on in the first half was the only action and saw August end with no points for Guiseley.

Next Up:

3:00 pm
Pre-Season Friendly

Guiseley vs Huddersfield Town