Season Review – April

April started with a long trip South for Guiseley with Eastleigh hoping to continue an impressive run and strengthen their cause for a play-off place.

It could not have got off to a worse start for the Lions as Adam Lockwood’s back-pass hit a bobble and looped over Steven Drench’s leg and into the net after just 2 minutes.

However just 10 minutes into the second half James Hurst’s long range free-kick flew into the goal to bring the scores level, it looked as if three points were on the way back to Nethermoor when Emile Sinclair’s bustling run beat several Spitfires defenders only for Ross Flitney to deny the on-loan striker at the last.

Title chasers Cheltenham Town were next to visit Nethermoor as they looked to distance themselves from their nearest challengers Forest Green Rovers.

The game will be remembered for being a tight contest which was settled in the final ten minutes when Rob Dickie’s header and Dan Holman’s flick secured a massive three points for the side from Gloucestershire, however Rob Pell was sent off in the final minute for a second bookable offence.

The Lions’ final rearranged game saw Wrexham visit Nethermoor looking to pull themselves closer to the top six whilst the hosts were looking to pull away from the bottom four.

It was the hosts who came out on top racing into a three goal lead within 26 minutes, Oli Johnson struck first after skipping past two defenders and drilling his shot into the bottom corner.

Adam Boyes scored two in nine minutes, the first was a neat turn and shot which kissed the post on it’s way in with the second coming from a knock down from Anthony Dudley which the number nine rifled into the top corner.

The visitors did pull one back in the 68th minute through Sean Newton’s header but the Lions kept pushing and Tom Craddock missed a glorious chance to make it 4-1 and Gavin Rothery was denied by Rhys Taylor in the Wrexham goal, however the first-half performance secured a first home win since 28th November.

The Lions travelled to Macclesfield knowing a win would all but guarantee Vanarama National League football at Nethermoor next season.

In a game of few chances Ollie Norburn struck the crossbar in the first half from a free-kick but it was Paul Lewis who won it for the hosts as his header from a corner beat Steven Drench and sent the Lions home empty handed despite Adam Boyes going close late on in a goalmouth scramble.

Another away game followed as Boreham Wood hosted Guiseley in a relegation six pointer with the hosts sitting just once place outside the relegation zone in a game which looked to have a big say in which club remained at the top level of non league football next season.

Delano Sam-Yorke took the lead for Boreham Wood in the 23rd minute after his neat volley flew into the net leaving Steven Drench stranded after neat build up play on the edge of the Lions’ box.

After a poor first half performance Guiseley really upped their game in the second half and struck the bar through Rob Atkinson’s header whilst Anthony Dudley and Oli Johnson were denied by James Russell.

It wasn’t all one sided though as Sam-Yorke’s shot cannoned off of the post in a result which saw the Lions’ destiny out of their own hands as FC Halifax also won at Forest Green meaning they would have to rely on results elsewhere to ensure Nethermoor saw National League football next season.

Nobody could have predicted what an excellent evening’s entertainment was to be served up at Nethermoor when Torquay visited as the Lions looked to pull themselves away from the relegation zone after being in it for the first time in the season going into the final weekend.

Just like the last home game the Lions raced into a three goal lead in the first half, a neat lob from Oli Johnson broke the deadlock before Will Hatfield tapped home Adam Boyes’ cross and Anthony Dudley rounded ‘keeper Brendan Moore.

However as the sides went in at the interval the news broke that FC Halifax had just taken the lead against Macclesfield Town, this looked to have an effect on the lads in white as Torquay pulled two goals back through Nathan Blissett and Toby Ajala.

There was some good news though, Macclesfield had equalised through Danny Rowe and shortly after Anthony Dudley scored his second of the evening but Torquay were not done there and pulled another one back through Shaun Harrod.

This caused some nervy moments in the final minutes as Drench made an impressive side to deny the equaliser.

However the Lions had a five minute wait to find out the full-time score from the Shay but when the news broke there were joyous scenes all around Nethermoor as the crowd flooded onto the pitch celebrating with the players and management who had kept Guiseley up.