Mulhern Penalty Secures Point

Frank Mulhern’s late penalty salvaged an unlikely point for struggling Guiseley from a 1-1 draw at in-form Maidstone.

The substitute stroked home past Maidstone keeper Lee Worgan after Will Hatfield had been tripped  in stoppage time to give Paul Cox’s men only their second away point of the season.

Zavon Hines unlocked the visitors’ defence early on, intercepting a misplaced ball and rounding Jonny Maxted before slotting home.

But Guiseley., who have not won in 10 games, showed their mettle, as Rob Atkinson’s effort was deflected agonisingly wide

Atkinson was again unlucky in the second half when Worgan reacted smartly to save his goal-bound header.

An injury-time penalty denied Maidstone victory over National League strugglers Guiseley.

Zavon Hines’ first-half opener looked set to be enough for a United side who weren’t at their best.

But they were stunned in the second minute of added time when referee Neil Hair pointed to the spot for a challenge by Reece Prestedge and substitute Frank Mulhern scored.

Jack Richards returned to the starting line-up in place of Johan ter Horst as United made one change to the side beaten by Bromley.

Richards set up Maidstone’s 12th-minute opener which came pretty much from their first attack, the Guiseley defence making a mess of his cross and gifting Hines a simple finish.

It was harsh on the visitors who’d started brightly, including a Mike Fondop-Talom shot across goal in the opening seconds which Lee Worgan turned past the post for corner.

United had lost Magnus Okuonghae to injury – the impressive Alex Finney taking his place – by the time Guiseley went close again midway through the half.

Worgan’s fist from a John Rooney cross presented the ball straight to Rob Atkinson but the Stones keeper made an excellent recovery save as the shot went out for a corner.

Richards had a goal ruled out for offside after Joe Pigott met a Hines corner as Maidstone celebrations were cut short 10 minutes before the break.

There were further chances in the last few minutes of the half, close-range shots from Pigott and Richards blocked by Lewis Freestone and Connor Brown respectively.

Then, in added time, Richards collected a Hines pass on the edge of the box, curling the ball inches past the post.

Guiseley were asking questions early in the second half, Lee Molyneux close from the edge of the area and Atkinson’s header from a corner blocked on the line.

It took Maidstone until the 75th minute to register a genuine chance, Hines flashing a header wide from a Reece Prestedge corner.

There were still three minutes of injury time to play after Mulhern’s leveller, Pigott seeing a penalty claim waved away.


1 Maxted

29 Freestone

25 Atkinson (Lawlor 62)

8 Hatfield

2 Brown

11 Molyneux

5 Palmer

28 Lenighan

10 Rooney (Haworth 74)

19 Odejayi (Mulhern 71)

30 Fondop-Talom


4 Wesolowski

6 Lawlor

9 Thompson

18 Mulhern

31 Haworth

Match report courtesy of the Kent Online website