Lions out of luck again

Guiseley are still looking for their first win of the post-Steve Kittrick era but new boss Mark Bower must be wondering how after their 2-1 defeat to Hednesford Town on Saturday.

Bower’s men dominated the first half against leaders Hednesford before Town boss Rob Smith made two significant changes at half-time that laid the foundations for his side’s eventual victory.

The Lions nearly went ahead from their first foray as Alex Johnson pulled a ball back which Michael Burns stepped over for Gavin Rothery to crash his shot against the upright. Seconds later, Johnson fired just wide and Rothery was denied once again by the upright with Dan Crane beaten.

The visitors’ sole effort of the half came from Matt Regan’s header over the bar.

Dave MacPherson and Aaron Harvey made way for Alex Melbourne and Robbie Thompson-Brown on the restart and Hednesford took the lead on the hour when Neil Harvey pounced on a loose ball to round Steve Drench and slot home.

The visitors doubled their lead twenty minutes later, after Elliott Durrell beat Jack Rea before slotting under Drench from an acute angle.

Rothery was then dismissed for an off-the-ball comment to a linesperson before Guiseley pulled one back late on.

Burns fired home after substitute Craig Hobson’s effort had come back off the post and Johnson’s follow-up had been parried by Crane.

Mark Bower post-match interview

Energy Plus Management MOTM Michael Burns on today’s game


Entertainment value: ***

Star man: Elliott Durrell (Hednesford)

Scorers:  Guiseley: Burns 90+6; Hednesford: Harvey 60, Durrell 8

H/T: 0-0

Guiseley: Drench, Rea, Meynell, Potts (Holdsworth 72), Harris, Parker, Brooksby (Ennis 78), Lawlor (Hobson 84) , Johnson, Burns, Rothery  Subs not used: Ible, Worsnop

Hednesford:  Crane, Disney, Campion, Bailey, Regan, MacPherson (Melbourne 46), Osborne, Durrell, Harvey, Rey (Thompson-Brown 46), Taylor Subs not used:  Woolfe, Francis, Angagho-Ntamark

Att: 469

Referee: G Fyvie

P1050438  P1050435P1050434