Brave Lions fall just short after Brown’s dismissal

Guiseley exited the Emirates FA Cup in controversial fashion this evening as Connor Brown was shown a straight red on 67 minutes for allegedly elbowing a Lincoln defender just after the Lions had halved the deficit and were applying some serious pressure on their full time opponents.

In what was a typically robust and physical cup tie the decision to dismiss Brown seemed at odds with some of the challenges that had preceded the incident, but having said that the home side still managed to create several openings even with the numerical disadvantage.

Following an intricate build up across the Guiseley midfield Will Hatfield whipped in an inviting cross that seemed destined for the head of Adam Boyes and but for Sean Ragget just getting in front of the Lion’s goal scorer to head over his own bar an equaliser would surely have ensued.

Michael Rankine and Jake Cassidy also nearly caught Paul Farman out with shots from an impossible angle the first of which bounced of the bar while the visitors keeper was relieved to push the second one over for a corner. Several further forays saw Guiseley exert more pressure without creating any clear cut openings.

Prior to Brown’s dismissal Lincoln had started off in determined mood from the kick off and could have been ahead with their first attack but for Dan Atkinsons agility between the sticks.

Harry Anderson should have put the visitors ahead shortly after but fluffed his chance perhaps waiting for an offside flag that never came.

Theo Robinson then shot straight at Atkinson as the Lions struggled to get into the game but when they did Jake Lawlor’s long clearance was headed on by Rankine for Adam Boyes to test Farman who parried his shot which he then had to scramble to collect before Boyes could reach it.

Anderson once again tested Atkinson and Farman was again in action at the other end, this time pushing Rankine’s shot around the post.

However, the home side were the architects of their own downfall five minutes before the break when Brown and Lawlor failed to clear their lines and Robinson hit a sweet curling shot beyond Atkinson into the top corner from just inside the area.

The Impsthen  doubled their lead on 51 minutes when Rheads header back into the mix was stroked home by Robinson for his second goal of the game.

Following this setback Nicky Clee was switched to the left flank and had an immediate impact as his trickery created opportunities for Rankine and Hatfield with the visitor’s defence now looking less than assured.

Indeed, it was Clee who fashioned the opening for Adam Boyes to halve thye deficit on 58 minutes after Clee had seen his own effort blocked he picked up the rebound and fed  Boyes down the right channel who then proceeded to nutmeg Farman and score.

Now in the ascendancy the Lions went in search of an equaliser only to be hampered by Brown’s untimely dismissal and as a result the Imps will now host Altrincham in the first round proper on Saturday 05 November.


17-Atkinson (D)





11-Rankine (Cassidy)

18-Clee (Preston)



24-Walton (Hylton)


10 Johnson

12-Dickinson (S)





Adam Lockwoods thoughts on tonights game:

Reaction from goalscorer Adam Boyes: