16/17 Season Review: October

October was an action packed month which included our first wins of the season as we looked to progress up the league table.

First up was a trip to Sutton, a match in which Connor Brown made his debut, unfortunately for the right back he scored the only goal of the game in his own net.

A memorable night at Nethermoor followed as we hosted York City, the match had seven goals and floodlight failure. The visitors raced into the lead through an 11th minute strike from Matt Fry. However the Lions scored six without reply, debutants Cassidy and Hylton got a goal each whilst Purver and Hatfield extended the lead. Preston scored another before half-time and Rob Atkinson made it 6-1 with 8 minutes to go.

The second win of the season followed just four days later when Southport visited Nethermoor, Jake Cassidy scored in successive matches before Jamie Allen equalised for the Sandgrounders. Michael Rankine’s winner came eight minutes from time and despite the number 11 missing a penalty late on the three points were secure.

We took a break from league action with a trip to Sincil Bank in the FA Cup, the tie finished 0-0 after 90 minutes and went to a replay the following Tuesday night. Lincoln won the replay 2-1 with a brace from Theo Robinson, Adam Boyes did pull one back midway through the second half. Connor Brown was shown a straight red card, little did anybody know in attendance at Nethermoor that night the heroics the Imps would go on to achieve in the cup.

A trip to Forest Green followed, FGR scored three with no reply from the Lions. Darren Carter’s strike after just 20 minutes reflected the hosts dominance and two second half goals from Christian Doidge and a Jake Lawlor own goal saw the three points remain in Gloucestershire.

Gateshead were the next side to visit Nethermoor on a cold Tuesday night. It was an eventful match for Simon Walton who scored a penalty in the 65th minute before being sent off after the final whistle had blown, Danny Johnson equalised four minutes from time for the visitors.

A long trip south followed with a visit to Aldershot’s EBB Stadium, Charlie Walker scored the only goal of the match with sixteen minutes remaining, Jake Lawlor was also sent off for two bookable offences. We had plenty of chances in the game but failed to convert and left Hampshire defeated.

You don’t want to miss a minute of the action at Nethermoor next season. Apply online for your 17/18 Season Ticket.